[DeTomaso] Help needed - trunk lock cylinder stuck

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 11:30:08 EDT 2015

Hi all

I cannot lock my rear trunk. I have several long trips planned over the next
few months and would like to be able to lock it with a key.

The key inserts just fine, but I can't rotate it. I bought some lock
lubricant, and have liberally doused everything but it doesn't make much
difference. Actually that isn't quite true, as the key goes in soooo nice,
but I can't rotate it.

I've removed the barrel, and as I understand it the dark gray thing should
slide out and fit into a recess, preventing the button from being pushed.
But the key doesn't even begun to budge. I'm leaving it to soak in the lock
lubricant for a while, but any suggestions? The last time I actually locked
it, which was probably a couple of years ago, it was pretty tough to turn
the key. I haven't tried locking it since - I wonder if the guts are now
completely rusted and frozen?

Is this something that a locksmith can open up? Or is there some magical
secret to getting this to work?

Thanks all!