[DeTomaso] Oil Spray from valve cover breathers

steve at snclocks.com steve at snclocks.com
Sat Apr 25 10:56:11 EDT 2015

   I recently started up a newly rebuilt engine, 480 hp on the dyno, so
   reasonably strong.  I went to NAPA and found a pcv for a 428 that
   looked a lot like the one that came on 5332.  I routed the pcv to a
   port on the inlet manifold.  I routed the other valve-cover breather to
   a port I installed on the air-cleaner plenum.  At first the engine
   generated a bit of vapor, and the set-up seemed to cope, but my
   impression was barely.  Now, with 500 miles on her there is markedly
   less vapor (blow-by) as the rings seat.  And, no question, the pcv is
   coping.

   This is an engine with MSD fuel injection and the pcv does not seem to
   be a problem for the FI at all.  In fact, when I got the cam setting
   right on the MSD I was very pleased with the way the system has
   performed.  Only thing it is still sorting out is if I drop the
   throttle and drop out of gear - it can once in a while have a hard time
   idling.  But even this seems to be sorting itself as the system maps
   itself.

   I hope this helps.

   I will also add - it is soooooo nice to twist the key and have the
   engine just start instantly and idle well, even when cold.

   Stephen