[DeTomaso] CA to Fun Rally - itinerary proposal - feedback wanted

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Thu Apr 23 22:03:16 EDT 2015

All,

I just sent out emails to those I understand are headed East to the Fun Rally.

I’m trying to herd cats (get it?) so we can travel together or at least know who is out on the Interstate with us, which could come in handy in case of “problems”.

I’ve come up with this possible itinerary. Nothing yet in stone.

Starting point for this itinerary is the home of John and Kathy Buckman, in Vista, California, a bit north of San Diego.

Monday, May 11 - 	Leave Vista early a.m.
				Rendezvous with Judy and friend Rochelle in Yuma
				continue to overnight stop at Tucson - 240 miles
				total mileage - Judy, 400 … Larry, John and Kathy, 450

Tuesday, May 12	Leave Tucson
				overnight stop at Van Horn, Texas
				mileage - 440

NOTE: Van Horn is in the middle of nowhere and while it only appears in a very close Google view (I-10 at US-90), it seems to be a traveler’s overnight area. Hampton Inn, Red Roof, Quality Inn and several other lodging options.

Wednesday,		Leave Van Horn
				overnight at Junction TX
				mileage - 320

Thursday,		Leave Junction
				arrive Lake Torretta Resort in early afternoon
				mileage - 290

The route is pretty obvious on I-10 all the way to Junction, TX. Leaving Junction, there are two clear routes East around Austin, one on the North and the other to the South. Mileage differences are nil, so research/feedback on the two approaches might show one to be a safer/more scenic/twisty turny route. Perhaps the Panteras take the ‘fun’ route and the rest a simpler route?

If you are driving, please let me know. If you have feedback on this itinerary as to things to avoid (radar traps) or places to stay or whatever, please feel free to share.

Thanks,

Larry