[DeTomaso] pantera dimensions

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 20 18:05:14 EDT 2015

In a message dated 4/20/15 14 55 9, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I am trying to rent a u-haul trailer to tow the Pantera down to Ron
> McCall's. U- Haul has no idea what a detomaso  pantera is ,so the want all
> sorts of dimensions. This is in spite of the fact that I rented their
> trailer before to tow my car from Boston to NY. Can anyone tell me the
> length, width, height, wheel base  and wheel width and height. Thanks.
>

>>>It's not quite as simple as that, but here goes:

Wheelbase:   98.94 inches
Length:   168.11 inches
Width:   72.05 inches

I just plucked those figures from the internet; those should be close
enough.

However, U-haul presumes that you are hauling a traditional front-engined
vehicle.   A trailer that is long enough for a 99-inch-long front-engined car
won't be nearly long enough for a Pantera, due to the location of the bulk
of the weight.   That weight needs to be positioned forward of the axle
centerline.   You can't safely tow the car loaded backwards on an open trailer,
because people have had the decklid pop open due to airflow, destroying the
decklid, roof and windshield.   That's the last thing you need!

So, if they offer different lengths, I would just arrange to get the
longest one they have.   You will have a lot of leftover trailer behind the back
of the car, but that's the price you pay for having a fantastic mid-engined
car! :>)