[DeTomaso] New Shocks

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Apr 8 14:01:25 EDT 2015

In a message dated 4/8/15 10:46:06 AM, cuvee at sbcglobal.net writes:

> Going to get new Shocks for my 73. Street use only no Track. Any
> Recommendations for Spring Rates? Still running the stock shocks, would like a
> little stiffer springs, But don't want to rattle my teeth.
>

>>>Most aftermarket shock setups come with 450 front, 550 rear spring
rates, which are a bit stiffer than stock, but far from abusive.   I actually
specified 450/650 for my car, and it's been okay, although admittedly I'm
running 305/50-15 tires which help soak up the initial inputs to the suspension.
 I just got done driving my Pantera down Hwy 1 to Hearst Castle and back
last weekend, and the car is a delight on the road, while still being firm and
properly damped.

I originally had Carrera shocks, which I got from Larry Stock.   I found
the car was far too soft, especially at the rear, and in fact it would bounce
all over the road on an especially bumpy road.   I sold those shocks (to a
guy who was looking for a 'cush' ride) and bought Konis from Pantera East.

Only after I sold them did I learn that Larry chooses to fit his shocks
with springs that are far too soft--perhaps even softer than stock!?   Those
same shocks (Carrera) from Wilkinson come with the desired 450/550 rates, and
so-equipped, they seem to work great.   I've since driven a car so-equipped
and it felt terrific.   I wish I had known that mine were fitted with the
incorrect springs; I would have just switched springs instead of buying new
shocks.

That said, I'm extremely happy with the Konis, and arguably they are
probably a superior product to the Carreras.   Both Pantera East and Pantera
Performance Center sell exactly the same setup, normally with 450/550 spring
rates; the PE price is normally a bit lower.   All other things being equal, I'd
suggest that you go that route.

I would not put Aldan shocks (as sold by Hall, Byars, and (I think?) PI
Motorsports) on a shopping cart.   Their quality is simply abysmal, and they
are known for chronic leaking problems, sometimes even failing while still in
the shipping box!!!   Don't waste your time with those, even if they are a
little bit cheaper.