[DeTomaso] DoT 3 vs. DoT 4 for brakes

Stephen steve at snclocks.com
Sun Apr 5 13:56:34 EDT 2015

Good question Larry.  I just keep pulling alcohol through the system till it
comes out clear.  On my Pantera, which had brake issues, I flushed the
system clean before opening everything up.  I was very pleased at how little
liquid was left behind.  As in things were pretty dry.  Course, rust, wet or
dry, is still rust.  Suggests that when I am sucking the alcohol out under
vacuum I get enough velocity to get some good swirling.

So - how do I pull a vacuum and separate liquids?  Take a glass jar with a
metal top.  A gallon pickle jar is great.  Poke two holes in the metal top -
one for a hose to fit in snugly, the other a bit bigger.  Space the holes so
you can put the end of the hose from your shop vac over it.  Or, heck, if
yoy want to use your engine as a vacuum source, size the second hole for a
hose to go to a manifold port on your engine.  None the less, with the first
hose hooked up to a bleeder that is opened, turn on the vacuum and watch the
liquid accumulate in the jar.

When liquid has quit coming out, you can either hook the bleeders up to the
engine directly, one by one, or hook up any other handy vacuum source you
may have.  Old refrigerator compressors come to mind.

Stephen Nelson