[DeTomaso] Waterpumps

Stephen steve at snclocks.com
Wed Apr 1 10:11:13 EDT 2015

I had a number of questions from folks on this forum about the trail of black stuff coming out of my water pump weep hole so figured I’d provide a bit more information.

The attached photo comes from a rather informative site, well, informative if one wants to learn a bit about water pumps.  http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/190

The reason I was looking for a problem was coolant residue on the front of the bottom of the oil pan.  Not a lot, in fact, seemingly, less after I tightened down the bolts holding on the water pump.  Or perhaps the water pump seals were managing to seal a bit better, but not completely.  I was a bit confused because there seemed to be something in the coolant residue – like graphite.

So I explored and found the black path on the underside of the water pump.

I haven’t tried to determine what the black stuff is coming out the weep hole – could be excess grease from the bearings that has pushed through the rear seal on the bearings.  Or could be residue form the seal faces.  Since the pump has less than 400 miles on it, and since the guy who built my engine, with a heck of a lot of engines under his belt, said nothing should come out the hole, it is off the engine and will be replaced as soon as I have a new one.

Then, back on the road and looking for the next gremlin.  While it is down I also separated the CV joints from the adapter plates, cleaned, and sealed with RTV silicone.  Truly sad when ones new engine is splattered with grease from ones new CV joints.  BE AWARE – the bolts holding the CV joints to the adapter plates may not be torqued – depending who you buy them from.  But, even when torqued down, my experience is the CV’s will leak.

Stephen Nelson