[DeTomaso] New Kumho (Khumos (sic)) coming

Richard Barkley rlbpantera at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 1 04:25:10 EDT 2015

Mike,
Thanks for the heads up. I'd been planning on getting Ecsta XS (KU36)
those sizes (315/35-17 and 245/40-17). I called Tirerack today to see if
they knew anything about the V720 sizes and availability and, just
talking to the guy who took the call, didn't get any info. Googling
around I didn't find much of anything except this (3rd hand info) post.
http://www.cicenet.net/showthread.php?t=9874&page=446
> Some info off the Corvette forum, not sure if it's any help.
>
> TR expects to add the V720's to the website within the next couple of
> weeks. The first round of V720's are still a few weeks away, but due
> to the lead time and shelf life of our Spring Inside Track print
> catalog they were included as a "Coming Soon" item. Kumho is fully
> aware of the SCCA's April 30th deadline and intends to meet it. The
> initial sizes will be limited to the following (Don't shoot the
> messenger...plz) While we can't announce pricing yet, it will be the
> least expensive of the new crop of Extreme Performance Tires. Kumho
> has not released any information on possible future sizes yet, they
> will likely wait to see how this first round of product performs
> before committing further to the US market.
>
> 205/50R15 KU ECSTA V720
> 225/50R16 KU ECSTA V720
> 215/45R17 KU ECSTA V720
> 225/45R17 KU ECSTA V720
> 245/40R17 KU ECSTA V720
> 245/40R18 KU ECSTA V720
Also, reading some other things, it's not clear to me the the V720 is
the replacement for the ES (KU36) and might be an update of the V710
which is (along with the V700) more of a track day tire.

At least according to their online websites, I found a few that have the
ES (KU36) in both sizes. So the question is do I get the ESs now (sure
thing) or wait and see what happens with the V720s and risk them not
coming out in the 315 size. I won't be needing tires for at least a few
months as Zonkey is still in pieces but I do plan being on the road this
summer. Since I live in So Cal (where it's only rained a couple of
inches this year) and I'm not out racing on the track or streets, the
safe thing would be to get the ESs now while they are still available.
Richard