[DeTomaso] Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 13:01:08 EDT 2014

Today, I was the bug and the Pantera was the windshield..

I had the entire afternoon reserved for adjusting valve lash and was
debating between the lazy, 3-step method from the Monroe book, or the EOIC
method, which is what I should really do. But it is a pain hitting the
started 16 times to leave the valve where you need it - hitting the starter
3 times is much less than 16.

But I never got that far. It took exactly 4 minutes to remove 7 of the 8
valve cover bolts. I have just now, 4 hours later, removed bolt number 8.

This bolt is right below the dipstick, and I just couldn't get anything on
it to loosen it. The dipstick was just above the bolt head, preventing me
from putting any kind of tool on it. I pulled the interior access cover so
that at least I could look at the offending bolt as it laughed at me and my
efforts. Not only couldn't I get a socket on it, but the ultra-thin-wall
socket that came close to fitting, fell off and is now somewhere in the
engine bay as it didn't fall below the car. I'll buy a magnet and go fishing
tomorrow.

After 4 hours to remove one bolt I decided to call it a day as I have other
tasks I need to do. So I have a whole week to decide whether to bump the
engine three times or 16 times.