[DeTomaso] Pantera flywheel and engine balance

Jerry Knotts knottsj at galstar.com
Sat Sep 27 21:48:23 EDT 2014

Old timers has me and I know this has been answered a number of times on
flywheel teeth and balance - but-
Having an engine built and have run into a sticking point on my 351C.
The new engine has been through a balance process with a generic
flywheel and we are getting ready to assemble the short block.  I think
the flywheel is a 164 tooth 28 oz model.  I have been using it on my
engine stand for run in purposes.   Checked a pressure plate for it and
the mounting holes are not correct for a Pantera clutch. Haven't worried
about a specific flywheel thinking that I would just change flywheels
and make sure the balance of the new one matched the old one.  The
machinist told me today that if I use another flywheel it needs to be
balanced to the bob weights of the pistons, rods, crank a harmonic
balancer being used on this particular engine.  This means that the
engine can't be assembled until I get a functional flywheel.

Is it correct that the flywheel must be balanced with the rotating mass
and can't be changed to another flywheel later??

Thanks in advance,
jerry

PS Entered my black 71 twin turbo in a large car show today in the
Import class.  Was disappointed that I lost out to a Ferrari kit car,
and 2 mid 60s Volkswagens.  I was going to ask for a Senior Innovation
Exemption since mine isn't a Corvette, Mustang, shoebox Chevrolet or a
Model A.