[DeTomaso] Gas Monkey Car Located

michael at michaelshortt.com michael at michaelshortt.com
Wed Sep 24 20:54:20 EDT 2014

No such thing as an original Orange US GTS.

Michael Shortt
On Sep 24, 2014 8:13 PM, "Jim Gray" <grayjim at cox.net> wrote:

> John,
>
> Are you saying this may be a European GTS ?  Obviously the VIN doesn’t
> show the anticipated US designation of a GTS.
>
> Just curious.
>
> Jim Gray
>
> -----Original Message----- From: John Taphorn
> Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:06 PM
> To: De Tomaso List ; SCPOCA
> Subject: [DeTomaso] Gas Monkey Car Located
>
> I was driving in Humble, TX today and passed an auto repair shop with
> many classic cars parked out front.  To my surprise I saw an orange
> Pantera among them.  As I passed by I wrestled with whether to stop.
> About a mile later, I told myself to do so.
>
> The new owner has it at the shop for metal repair.  While the exterior
> looks good, the frame rails and front valence were toast. Left me
> suspect that body work was previous done to the exterior. For the sake
> of the current owner, I hope well.
>
> I spoke briefly with the shop owner and he pointed out it was the Gas
> Monkey car.  I confirmed it is true matching vins on Chuck's site. Here
> are a few shots of the car.  I suspect it was originally a GTS based on
> the stars in the vin.
>
> Shrunk the pics to the max. Yet, files may still be to large for POCA list.
>
> JT

   No such thing as an original Orange US GTS.

   Michael Shortt

   On Sep 24, 2014 8:13 PM, "Jim Gray" <[1]grayjim at cox.net> wrote:

     John,
     Are you saying this may be a European GTS ?A  Obviously the VIN
     doesnat show the anticipated US designation of a GTS.
     Just curious.
     Jim Gray
     -----Original Message----- From: John Taphorn
     I was driving in Humble, TX today and passed an auto repair shop
     with
     many classic cars parked out front.A  To my surprise I saw an orange
     Pantera among them.A  As I passed by I wrestled with whether to
     stop.
     About a mile later, I told myself to do so.
     The new owner has it at the shop for metal repair.A  While the
     exterior
     looks good, the frame rails and front valence were toast. Left me
     suspect that body work was previous done to the exterior. For the
     sake
     of the current owner, I hope well.
     I spoke briefly with the shop owner and he pointed out it was the
     Gas
     Monkey car.A  I confirmed it is true matching vins on Chuck's site.
     Here
     are a few shots of the car.A  I suspect it was originally a GTS