[DeTomaso] Here is a '74 being sold for $125K

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Sep 16 10:08:09 EDT 2014

In a message dated 9/15/14 20 35 33, edducati at mac.com writes:

> What's so special about it? Was it actually built for one of the Ford
> Execs and is that documented?
>
>>>It is very well-documented.   This is one of a handful of special,
one-off cars built by Ghia (which Ford owned outright) as trinkets for high-up
Ford execs.   It utilizes several features from styling experimental
dead-ends; the decklid, for instance, is similar to that used on the one-off
three-seat six-cylinder Pantera prototype.

Having a bespoke, one-off car was just another way for auto company
higher-ups to show off their status to their Detroit bretheren.   Jeff Cobb's
one-off Mangusta is another such example.

> >As much as I would like Pantera value to go up, that seems a bit steep.
>
>>>Speaking with a well-heeled De Tomaso collector about this car, we
agreed that while it is unique and special, it's not especially nice when
compared to a regular Pantera, and thus is probably not worth much (if any) more.

Just because it's OLD bad taste, doesn't make it any more tasteful!