[DeTomaso] Aluminum gas tank repair and question

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Sep 13 20:45:39 EDT 2014

Richard, ANY rigid fuel tank- aluminum, steel or stainless- can be repaired, but it takes welding to do it right. In your case, TIG-welding new pieces in to replace the corroded stuff. Corrosion of aluminum comes from water or certain acids that logically could not have gotten inside the tank. Water in the form of condensation can. What you describe is exactly what people find in the float bowls of carbs (aluminum and zinc) in CA where alcohol is routinely added to gasoline. Likely, the disintegrating fabric held water against the tank until the water could worm-hole through.

Some radiator shops do this fix, and a few hot-rod or restoration shops. I've done it a few times without explosions in the back yard. I'd call Don Byars or some other well-known restoration shop in your area. As you know, getting the tank out is nearly as bad as the fix!  The safety aspect requires flipping and bracing the tank so the cut-away area to be repaired is uppermost, then fill the tank with water up to within an inch or so of the repair area. After that, its almost like body work.

You're right- the fiberglas wrap in early pre-Ls was a visual band-aid for the DOT who were crazy with mindless directives back then. Don't bother re-fiberglassing- a good heavy coat of spray-epoxy paint made for aluminum will give more protection than you ever had before. After all, the thing survived a rear-ender! Or, a repro steel tank from a number of vendors is only 8 lbs heavier (If I remember from Ted Mitchell) than an aluminum one that no one can see. Good luck- J DeRyke