[DeTomaso] ZF polish question.

michael at michaelshortt.com michael at michaelshortt.com
Sat Sep 13 14:34:57 EDT 2014

Eagle One etching wheel cleaner.
Aluminum Jelly

Michael Shortt

Be careful with AN anodized connectors, both will strip off the red and
blue.
On Sep 13, 2014 1:48 PM, "Boyd Casey" <boyd411 at gmail.com> wrote:

>    So given that a polished aluminum surface is less efficient at
>    transferring heat then an unpolished surface ( even if the difference
>    is marginal) If one owns a Pantera and plans to use it for actual
>    driving or in fact does use it for more then car shows and trailer
>    queen status , what is the most effective way to make it "look good"
>    without polishing it. (what cleaning method or cleaning products are
>    the most effective?)
>
>    On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Asa Jay Laughton
>    <[1]asajay at asajay.com> wrote:
>
>      Here is the easiest way to think about it.
>      Have you seen a heatsink on a computer cpu?
>      Or on the diodes of an alternator?
>      Maybe on the back of your stereo?
>      How about one of those finned transmission pans?
>      The theory is the more surface area you have to dissipate heat, the
>      more
>      heat will dissipate.A  So think of your porous surface transmission
>      case
>      in the same way.
>      Polished, it is smooth as a baby's bottom and reduces the surface
>      area
>      to the smallest it can get.
>      But unpolished, it has lots of tiny craters, ridges and peaks that
>      increase the overall surface area that can dissipate heat.
>      Now, as Chuck and his Pantera Research Institute contributing source
>      point out, the difference in surface area is probably insignificant,
>      although measurable.A  If it's measurable, it's not a myth.
>      You have to ask yourself, how fast do you want to go and for how
>      long?
>      AsaA  Jay
>      Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
>      & Shelley Marie
>      Spokane, WA
>      ******************************
>      [2]http://www.racingagainstautism.com
>      [3]http://www.teampanteraracing.com
>      [4]http://facebook.com/racingagainstautism
>
>    On 9/12/2014 6:43 PM, Charles Engles wrote:
>    > Dear Tony and Michael,
>    >
>    >
>    >A  A  A  A  A  A  A  I, too, have heard that a porous cast iron block
>    or alumunium
>    > manifold or transmission case will transfer more heat than a polished
>    one.
>    > This conversation prompted me to ask an expert in the field.
>    >
>    >
>    >A  A  A  A  A  A  A  He is says that it is absolutely true that there
>    is less heat
>    > transfer with a polished surface than an unfinished cast surface, BUT
>    the
>    > effect is insignificant.A  A It is tangible, but at extremely small
>    levels.
>    >
>    >
>    >A  A  A  A  A  A  A The take home lesson for lovers of bling is to
>    polish away!
>    > Remember what the ancient Greeks said, "All things in moderation
> [...]

   On Sep 13, 2014 1:48 PM, "Boyd Casey" <[1]boyd411 at gmail.com> wrote:

     A  A So given that a polished aluminum surface is less efficient at
     A  A transferring heat then an unpolished surface ( even if the
     difference
     A  A is marginal) If one owns a Pantera and plans to use it for
     actual
     A  A driving or in fact does use it for more then car shows and
     trailer
     A  A queen status , what is the most effective way to make it "look
     good"
     A  A without polishing it. (what cleaning method or cleaning
     products are
     A  A the most effective?)
     A  A On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Asa Jay Laughton