[DeTomaso] ZF polish question.

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Sep 12 22:09:03 EDT 2014

Here is the easiest way to think about it.

Have you seen a heatsink on a computer cpu?
Or on the diodes of an alternator?
Maybe on the back of your stereo?

How about one of those finned transmission pans?

The theory is the more surface area you have to dissipate heat, the more
heat will dissipate.  So think of your porous surface transmission case
in the same way.

Polished, it is smooth as a baby's bottom and reduces the surface area
to the smallest it can get.
But unpolished, it has lots of tiny craters, ridges and peaks that
increase the overall surface area that can dissipate heat.

Now, as Chuck and his Pantera Research Institute contributing source
point out, the difference in surface area is probably insignificant,
although measurable.  If it's measurable, it's not a myth.

You have to ask yourself, how fast do you want to go and for how long?
Asa  Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA