[DeTomaso] charging problems

mark skwarek ehpantera at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 17:09:42 EDT 2014

Just checked the other 2 wires when running at the alternator.
orange   - 0.02 to 0.03v
Green     -0.02 to 0.05v

On Friday, September 12, 2014 3:55 PM, "SOBill at aol.com" <SOBill at aol.com> wrote:

Mark,

The "blue" wire should be a Blue/Black wire which comes the charge
indicator in the speedo. With the wire disconnected from the regulator 12V would
be normal. With the wire connected to the regulator 1.9V could be normal as this
would be the starting voltage across the alternator field windings.

Attached are the diagram the battery charging circuit and a detailed
description of how it works. If it is not clear how the charging system works,
let me know.

Measure the voltage on the Yellow wire at the regulator. This must be the
battery voltage. This wire provides a sample of the battery voltage to the
regulator and provides the field excitation when the alternator starts putting
out serious current. The yellow wire must be connected to the starter solenoid
terminal which has the cable direct from the battery.

You can very quickly verify that the alternator will put out charging
current: jumper the Yellow wire to the Orange wire at the regulator. This
will apply 12V to the field winding and the alternator and the alternator will
put out max voltage and current when the engine is running. I would only do this
as a very short test and would best be done with one person in the car with the
engine running and an eye on the ammeter and another person just touching the
two wires together. This completely eliminates the regulator and drives the
alternator to max voltage output.

Let me know what you find.

SOBill

The main
thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.
Do the best you can with what
your have where you are.
Have fun today!
SOBill

I've cleaned all the wire ends and grounds. Made a new ground from  regulator base to Alt. case.