[DeTomaso] Archival Photos of Pantera Launch

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 12:56:37 EDT 2014

And the list of difference/anomalies grows.  Continue to populate this list with any differences you spot...

----------

I am adding the following:

Rear license lighting is two units mounted to bumper

No rear deck lock  ---- This and the lack of the under-dash trunk release lever are indications that this prototype was using the B-pillar mounted release lever taken from Fiat and was typical of early push buttons.
                                     One of the photos does show this in a B pillar shot.

Rear tail lights are the Alfa Romero Berlina units we now refer to as Group 4.
         Blatant Promotion - I still have NOS and restored sets of Group 4 lights for sale.  ;-)

Side marker lights, front and rear, are not the production units. While the housings may be Pantera versions, the lenses on this prototype are from Fiat.

Steering wheel padded cover is not Capri. I just learned that the Capri wheel cover was smooth inside the molded 'stiching', whereas the Pantera cover had indented triangles in each of the three sections.

Angle of the switch-gauge panel is much less obtuse than the stock panel.

Appears to be a 'deTomaso' badge mounted in the top, rear-center of the deck lid. Top, rear right corner appears to have the early 'deTomaso V8' emblem.

There ARE muffler-exhaust body panel cutouts but they appear to be a little different than production cutouts.

-----------------------------

No muffler cut-outs in rear lower valence
No emergency window crank access covers in the door panels

Small rear bumper extending the entire width of the car

Height of the dash ends just after the A/C vents which resulted in a much taller console, which has an extra rocker switch in it (windshield switch?)
Shift gate doesn't have any fingers and the slot looks much smaller suggesting a much shorter shifter throw
Shift lever looks taller too.

Taller console resulted in higher kick panels which have speaker holes cut in them
Front bumpers look thinner and/or the parking lights look thinner or are set higher into the bumper (my eyes could be playing tricks on me).

Missing release handle under the left hand side of the dashboard for the front trunk
Heater/vent controls mounted vertically instead of horizontally

Shift gate - it looks like it is some kind of protection to limit you to only 2nd and 3rd gear?
3-slot Campy wheels
Capri steering wheel with the prototype seats