[DeTomaso] Archival Photos of Pantera Launch

Tom Shinrock tmshinro at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 10:58:04 EDT 2014

 I've seen these pictures before but I'm surprised how much I didn't see before.   The ability to zoom the photos with clarity let's you see a lot.

I never noticed the small rear bumper extending the entire width of the car before.  Also the height of the dash ends just after the A/C vents which resulted in a much taller console, which has an extra rocker switch in it (windshield switch?).  The shift gate doesn't have any fingers and the slot looks much smaller suggesting a much shorter shifter throw.  Shift lever looks taller too.

The taller console resulted in higher kick panels which have speaker holes cut in them.

The front bumpers look thinner and/or the parking lights look thinner or are set higher into the bumper (my eyes could be playing tricks on me).

Anyway, it is very interesting to see this first car.  What happened to it?  Did it get smashed up for DOT testing or does it still survive?

Tom
5186

   3-slot Campy wheels, and the ugly Capri steering wheel with the
   prototype seats.  I'm sure there are more anomalies.  Great pics.