[DeTomaso] flywheel and clutch question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Sep 2 18:29:50 EDT 2014

In a message dated 9/2/14 14 34 43, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> Can anyone tell me how many tooth a pantera flywheel has? I am ordering a
> new Fidenza aluminum flywheel , do I need a 164 or 157 tooth flywheel?
>
>>>You need 164, with a 28.8 inch imbalance (standard early Ford).

> >Also what is the best clutch to use for a 408" stroker that is going to
> be
> making around 600 hp? And is it 10.5" or 11"?
>
>>>You can get either 10.5 inch (late-model Mustang-based) or 11-inch
clutches for the Pantera.   I prefer the 11-inch diaphragm style from McLeod.
Call Pantera Performance center and tell them what you are planning on
putting in front of it and they can give you the various options.

You don't want a full-race clutch.   You want a street clutch that will
withstand whatever abuse you will dish out.

Most "600 hp" street engines make more like 500 hp, if that.   Of course,
more than a few engine builders have "happy dynos".....