[DeTomaso] fluidyne radiator

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Oct 23 14:51:54 EDT 2014

In a message dated 10/23/14 10 43 12, bd8134 at gmail.com writes:

> The pipe goes all the way back under the car to the pressurized water
> tank
> by the engine.
> You might be able to work it out by this drawing..
> http://www.pim.net/detsec11ill18.jpg
>

>>>This was a short-lived Ford-developed attempt to create a self-bleeding
cooling system.   Their initial feeble attempt is described in TSB #3; a
small rubber hose is run from the top water pipe, just behind the radiator, to
a nipple on the top of the radiator.   What this is supposed to achieve is
anybody's guess?   Later, in TSB #8 they came up with an even more
far-fetched scheme, whereby a nipple is brazed onto the pressure tank, the fitting on
the water pipe is blocked off, and a long hose is run from the radiator all
the way back to the pressure tank.   How this is supposed to automatically
purge the system of air is a mystery I've never been able to fathom.

Eventually they gave up on these schemes, and the last cars used neither
system.

I think the cooling system purging procedure described in TSB #8 is quite
valid, if you don't have a vacuum-based cooling system maintenance tool.