[DeTomaso] All AL Engines

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Oct 23 14:08:50 EDT 2014

FWIW: the reasons for picking an aftermarket aluminum block are -1) repairability, 2)- lightness, 3)- capacity to use a BIG bore and stroke with a better oil system. My race block only drops about 50 lbs over an iron Cleveland; aluminum heads will drop more weight- 62 lbs! By far the most valuable attribute is the big bore capacity and far better oiling.
Next, most aluminum blocks are Windsor type except for MME's and Buttermore's Cleveland copies and both come as raw castings that need a pro machine shop to complete, not just an engine builder. There isn't a single hole in those blocks that's threaded or bored as-delivered, and no surfaces are finished. There's a tremendous amount of machining needed before they will bolt together. Thats why they're so expensive as an operating engine.