[DeTomaso] Salvage title

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 14:36:55 EDT 2014

Julian is correct. Car fax only includes vehicles with a 17 digit vin # in
their data base, so any car (like our Panteras } that have a shorter vin #
are not included. Having a 17 digit vin is no guarantee that they will
catch all incidents of importance.  I purchased a Toyota Land cruiser  that
had been a tagged theft ( someone buys a totaled car at a salvage auction
and then goes and steals a vehicle that matches the car exactly , same
colors int and ext, same options) Then the remove the vin tags from the
stolen car and replace them with the tags from the wrecked car and sell it.
This will work  and did work  well enough for the dealership I was working
at to slip through in 1995. most cars have hidden vin numbers that only the
manufacturer and the police are supposed to know about. Some manufacturers
(like mercedes benz ) have the vin # stamped directly into the fire wall
making a number switch very difficult  to pull off undetected and our
beloved Detomaso Panteras have a partial vin stamped into the headlight
doors.)   In the case of the Toyota Land cruiser by the time the switch was
discovered (back in 1996 the thieves and the money were long gone.) Banks
and insurance companies had access to data basses of cars with "history "
long before Car fax came up with the idea of selling the info to consumers.
This all brings to mind  one of my all time favorite sayings "Caveat Emptor"
"Let the buyer beware"

Boyd

P.S. If one is considering purchasing a car for ones own use and is not
concerned with resale or financing, a recovered theft or some salvage
titled cars ( which may actually have very little damage,  can present a
stellar opportunity for the bargain of a life time!. Since Salvage titled
cars are often not financeable and frighten off many other buyers if you
are an educated consumer and want to buy a car for the long haul you can
often get a car with absolutely nothing mechanically wrong with them  for
pennies on the dollar.  Or if you are interested in building a resto mod
you can pick up an awesome drive train from a Mustang, ZRI, Ferrari , BMW
M6 or any number of comparable drive trains  or exotic brake systems  for
very little. If you have the cash , cojones, and skills to put it all
together

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Julian Kift <julian_kift at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> In Nevada, it's basically the same process but a Salvage Title car cannot
> be registered for the road, it has to be inspected and then re-issued a
> "Rebuilt Title".
>
> I don't believe CarFax report older vehicles like Pantera's so probably
> easier to lose the Salvage title through title washing; going through one
> of the States that doesn't issue salvage/rebuilt titles so it gets a clean
> title. This article has a list of those states that don't issue salvage
> titles http://www.leaseguide.com/cheap-cars/damagedcars/ which if you are
> 'resident' of you can title the car in to effectively clean the title.
>
> BTW Carfax isn't any guarantee that a car is accident free. I once
> purchased a Dodge truck that had a clean Carfax, but the insurance company
> advised me it had been the subject of 3 major claims during it's life. It
> turned out that not all States/entities report to Carfax and I think they
> were subject of a Class Action lawsuit at one point. Now the Carfax fine
> print states "all information reported to Carfax is accurate" not that all
> information is in their hands or accessible to them.
>
> Julian
>
> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:57:13 -0400
> From: boyd411 at gmail.com
> To: Larry at ohiotimecorp.com
> CC: detomaso at poca.com
>
> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Salvage title
>
> In New york state you need to present the car to the NY state police along
> with receipts for all the parts you used to facilitate repairs. Once the
> car has passed inspection and  you have provided all the receipts to match
> all the parts to needed to put the car back on he road you will still have
> a car with a salvage title. Once a car has been "Branded" as salvage , just
> like a real brand it can't be removed. No there are people who have found
> ways to have a car re titled with out a "Salvage Brand" The used to cal it
> "Cleaning a title" it is probably less effective now that there are car fax
> and other similar data bases. It really is a flawed system because
> sometimes a car can be stolen and recovered with little or no damage and
> still be branded as  "salvage" and other cars can be virtually destroyed
> and put back together and have the same salvage title. That and the fact
> the the rules or laws are different from state to state makes for a very
> convoluted system.
>
> Boyd
>
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Larry - Ohio Time <Larry at ohiotimecorp.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Gudmund,
> >
> > Each state has there own laws about salvage titles. 30 some years ago I was
> > in the salvage car business. The laws have changed much over the years. At
> > one time you could buy a salvage car in state "A" repair the damage, get it
> > inspected in state "B" and have a clean title. I would not think that is
> > possible any more. In Ohio like SC you can drive a salvage car on the
> [...]
   vinA # are not included. Having a 17 digit vin is no guarantee that
   they will catch all incidents of importance.A  I purchased a Toyota
   Land cruiser A that had been a tagged theft ( someone buys a totaled
   car at a salvage auction and then goes and steals a vehicle that
   matches the car exactly , same colors int and ext, same options) Then
   the remove the vin tags from the stolen car and replace them with the
   tags from the wrecked car and sell it. This will work A and did work
   A well enough for the dealership I was working at to slip through in
   1995. most cars have hidden vin numbers that only the manufacturer and
   the police are supposed to know about. Some manufacturers (like
   mercedes benzA ) have the vin # stamped directly into the fire wall
   making a number switch very difficult A to pull off undetected and our
   beloved Detomaso Panteras have a partial vin stamped into the headlight
   doors.) A  In the case of the Toyota Land cruiser by the time the
   switch was discovered (back in 1996 the thieves and the money were long
   gone.) Banks and insurance companies had access to data basses of cars
   with "history " long before Car fax came up with the idea of selling
   the info to consumers. This all brings to mind A one of my all time
   favorite sayings "Caveat Emptor" "Let the buyer beware"
   Boyd
   P.S. If one is considering purchasing a car for ones own use and is not
   concerned with resale or financing, a recovered theft or some salvage
   titled cars ( which may actually have very little damage, A can present
   a stellar opportunity for the bargain of a life time!. Since Salvage
   titled cars are often not financeable and frighten off many other
   buyers if you are an educated consumer and want to buy a car for the
   long haul you can often get a car with absolutely nothing mechanically
   wrong with them A for pennies on the dollar.A  Or if you are interested
   in building a resto mod you can pick up an awesome drive train from a
   Mustang, ZRI, Ferrari , BMW M6 or any number of comparable drive trains
   A or exotic brake systems A for very little. If you have the cash ,
   cojones, and skills to put it all together

   On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Julian Kift
   In Nevada, it's basically the same process but a Salvage Title car
   cannot be registered for the road, it has to be inspected and then
   re-issued a "Rebuilt Title".
   I don't believe CarFax report older vehicles like Pantera's so probably
   easier to lose the Salvage title through titleA washing; going through
   one of the States that doesn't issue salvage/rebuilt titles so it gets
   a clean title. This article has a list of those states that don't issue
   salvage titles
   [2]http://www.leaseguide.com/cheap-cars/damagedcars/A which if you are
   'resident' of you can title the car in to effectively clean the title.
   BTW Carfax isn't any guarantee thatA a car is accident free. I once
   purchased a Dodge truck that had a clean Carfax, butA the insurance
   company advised me it had been the subject of 3 major claimsA during
   it's life.A It turned out that not all States/entities report to Carfax
   and I think they were subject of a Class Action lawsuitA at one point.