[DeTomaso] 351C Piston Needed

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 04:28:23 EDT 2014

John, is this supposed to be a track engine? That slug was not popular for very long being TRWs highest dome forged piston at 0.425". With a closed chamber head it gave 12-1/2:1 C.R, and with open chamber heads it gave nearly 11:1. Iron-head Clevelands needed 110 octane race gas to run them safely. Only drag racers usually picked that part number. And if you find a replacement, they came with both pressed-fit piston pins and floating pins, and if they were floating pins, they could be either Tru-arc snap rings or Spirolox. The grooves were slightly different for the two retainers..So you may have trouble finding a 2348F-030 that's useable in your setup. But there's a simple fix (unless you expect the motor to last 100,000 miles) known only to about 300 race shops and poor boys all across the U.S.

TRW pistons were made of 2618-aluminum which is weldable. Practically all old-time engine guys have weld-repaired pistons- some in the pits at race tracks. So get someone who knows what he's doing with a TIG, and rebuild the dome area you cut too low. Then re-machine it to match the others. It WILL work with no ill effects if the TIG guy minimizes the heating effect..

Good luck- J DeRyke (weld-repaired Kawasaki 2-stroke pistons as well as TRWs)