[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 124, Issue 10

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Oct 11 16:25:25 EDT 2014

In a message dated 10/10/14 22 59 43, npdrs at maui.net writes:

> I already got a louvered panel that mounts in front of the right rear
> wheel,
> so am planning to mount the cooler on front of that; would someone have a
> suggestion for particular cooler that would offer maximum size/efficiency
> and still fit in this space?
>

>>>I have always felt that the placement of an air-to-oil cooler in the
wheelwell behind a louvered panel represented the height of optimism, to the
point of being totally delusional.   Air-to-oil coolers are just a form of
radiator, and require fairly extensive airflow in order to have any positive
effect.   The architecture of the Pantera doesn't lend itself to air-to-oil
coolers very well.   Some factory Gr4 race cars had a scoop in the left rocker
panel (sill) between the back of the door and the wheelwheel, which ducted
air to a cooler placed to the left of the engine (because the fuel tank was
on the right side on those cars).   That would be effective at high speeds
but not sitting in traffic.

When #2860 was converted to dry sump, the oil tank was placed there, and it
was equipped with a long, narrow cooler placed in the front beneath and
ahead of the radiator, with long oil lines running through the right-side
rocker panel.   Once again, it relied on ram airflow achieved at triple-digit
speeds.

As Jack said, Panteras respond much better to the use of a water-to-oil
heat exchanger, which will serve the dual purpose of raising the oil
temperature when the engine is first running (because water temp rises much faster
than oil temp), then as the temp lines cross, will lower the oil temp as heat
is transmitted to the water which is then shed by the water radiator.

I note that your e-mail address is 'maui.net'.   Presuming this means that
you are living on Maui, I would argue that any form of oil cooling (and,
truthfully, dry sumping the engine) represents a monumental waste of effort.
The ONLY place a Pantera will see any benefit from either of those
modifications is on a racetrack or open road race, and even then, it would require
extensive high-rpm running before either one came into play.   You may be
committed to the dry sump system (which is unfortunate if you're actually
driving the car on Maui) but I would urge you to save yourself a lot of time,
money and potential grief, and shelve any oil cooling plans.   While oil coolers
have a lot of benefits for those who need them, they also have attendant
problems, to include multiple Panteras that have suffered engine fires as a
result of oil cooler plumbing leaks....