[DeTomaso] V-rated 295-50-15 tire from Avon

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Wed Oct 8 01:19:38 EDT 2014

Thanks Jack, thanks Mike.  Both of you, ever the voice of Pantera
reason and limitless fonts of knowledge.  My car also thanks you, as
the teenager within might well have buggered
Avons on the rear it is then.  Traction be what it may, these tires
are exactly what I'm after: a retro-Italian-American unruly muscle
beast.
 Sent using Hushmail
On 7 October, 2014 at 12:37 AM, "Mike Drew via DeTomaso"  wrote:In a
message dated 10/6/14 12 36 22, detomaso at poca.com writes:

> Has anybody put these on their Panteras yet?   Would be interested
in how
> well it performs and what the wear life is?
>
> I've heard they cost around $500 each but at least it's an option
for us
> guys running factory 10 inch rims to get speed rated street tires.
>

>>>They are popular with the GT40 set.   Unfortunately they don't
really
offer a matching front tire in our sizes.   I believe the GT40 guys
run a
215/60 front, which is fairly close in size to the original Arriva
front (which
was a 205/50 equivalent).   They also offer a 245/60 which is much too
large
for use in the front (some GT40 owners run them in the rear, and they
would
perhaps work on an 8-inch wheel on a Pantera in the rear as
well--Lori's
Pantera has ancient Goodyear Gaterbacks in 245/60 on her old
Campagnolo
wheels, and they look surprisingly 'right').   They also offer a
225/65-15, which
would be ridiculously tall; 26.7 inches according to Avon. But they
fail to
offer either a 225/50 or 245/50 which would be a perfect match on a
Pantera
to go with their 295/50 rear.

Recognize that these are classic RACE tires, and come with a host of
drawbacks.   Besides their high cost and short lifespan, they are a
decidedly
'vintage' tire in terms of their tread pattern, and I would be a bit
skeptical
about their performance in the wet (Avon's claims notwithstanding).
Your
paint would also likely take a pretty good beating as they picked up
every
rock and pebble and flung them into your bodywork.

You can read more about them on their website, to include all the
specs and
various available sizes:

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/historic/cr6zz