[DeTomaso] Michelin to offer 15" tires again

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 7 10:08:07 EDT 2014

A lot of the tires being mentioned are vintage race compounds e.g. Michelin TB15, Avon CR6ZZ, but no one has mentioned Dunlop and I think maybe some trire options get overlooked becasue they don't have standard sizing nomenclature.

I have been searching for tires for the GT40which has been a bit of a challenge as I have a Le Mans wide body with 12" rear width and 10" front width wheels. I am settling on Dunlop Post Historic CR82 tires, which are close to original specs for tire diameter on the GT40. Like many found with the Michelin TB's it's cheaper to get the Dunlop's shipped out of the UK than to buy them in the US. The Dunlop's are sized by metric standards as below;

  Size

  Approved
  Rims

  Std.
  Rim

  Tire
  Dia.

  Section
  width

  Tread
  width

  475/1000-15
  CR65

  6.0-9.0

  8.0

  24.7

  9.8

  7.1

  430/1160-15
  CR82

  7.0-11.0

  9.5

  24.5

  11.3

  9.1

  525/1050-15
  CR65

  7.5-10.0

  8.5

  25.7

  10.5

  8.0

  530/1360-15
  CR82

  10.0-13.0

  12.0

  25.7

  13.6

  11.2

  530/1500-15
  CR82

  11.0-15.5

  15.0

  25.5

  16.0

  12.0

  600/1200-15
  CR65

  9.0-11.5

  10.0

  26.6

  12.4

  9.4

  530/1600-15
  CR82

  14.0-17.5

  17.0

  25.5

  17.5

  14.3

Another thought is that Roger Kraus offered to cut and tread any slick tire to meet my needs, not saying it is necessarily the right choice, but it does offer another option at considerably lower cost than some of the exotic alternatives.

Julian