[DeTomaso] V-rated 295-50-15 tire from Avon

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Oct 7 03:39:28 EDT 2014

In a message dated 10/6/14 12 36 22, detomaso at poca.com writes:

> Has anybody put these on their Panteras yet?   Would be interested in how
> well it performs and what the wear life is?
>
> I've heard they cost around $500 each but at least it's an option for us
> guys running factory 10 inch rims to get speed rated street tires.
>

>>>They are popular with the GT40 set.   Unfortunately they don't really
offer a matching front tire in our sizes.   I believe the GT40 guys run a
215/60 front, which is fairly close in size to the original Arriva front (which
was a 205/50 equivalent).   They also offer a 245/60 which is much too large
for use in the front (some GT40 owners run them in the rear, and they would
perhaps work on an 8-inch wheel on a Pantera in the rear as well--Lori's
Pantera has ancient Goodyear Gaterbacks in 245/60 on her old Campagnolo
wheels, and they look surprisingly 'right').   They also offer a 225/65-15, which
would be ridiculously tall; 26.7 inches according to Avon. But they fail to
offer either a 225/50 or 245/50 which would be a perfect match on a Pantera
to go with their 295/50 rear.

Recognize that these are classic RACE tires, and come with a host of
drawbacks.   Besides their high cost and short lifespan, they are a decidedly
'vintage' tire in terms of their tread pattern, and I would be a bit skeptical
about their performance in the wet (Avon's claims notwithstanding).   Your
paint would also likely take a pretty good beating as they picked up every
rock and pebble and flung them into your bodywork.

You can read more about them on their website, to include all the specs and
various available sizes:

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/historic/cr6zz