[DeTomaso] Caster on 5332

Stephen steve at snclocks.com
Sun Nov 30 18:13:51 EST 2014

I'm revisiting a discussion from earlier this year.  I just checked the alignment on 5332 after putting in offset poly bushing on both upper and lower a-arms.  Came up with 5 degrees on the passenger side, 4 degrees on the drivers.  I recall hearing one time that the driver's side caster should be a bit less than the passengers to compensate for the crown on roads.  I don't have a lot of room to maneuver when it comes to shims on the ball joints.  All the shims are in front of the driver's side top ball joint, so can't increase it any just by moving shims.  On the passenger side, there is one thin shim (0.9 mm) on the front of the ball joint, so I could move it to the back, thereby reducing the 5 degrees to around 4.8.

Found one website that stated " to offset road crown, the top left steering knuckle is always leading the right; the right side has more positive caster."

So, the question is, how much less caster is desirable to compensate for road crown?  The web suggests 0.5 degrees max.  Any comments from those who have played with caster?

Oh, I also installed the camber lock devices that Pantera Performance markets.  Camber is set at 0.

Stephen Nelson