[DeTomaso] Best way to do a Distributorless Ignition System

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Tue Nov 25 15:37:26 EST 2014

Ed,

Have you spoken to FAST about going distributorless? How many outputs does
their ignition module have?

If it has 4 and you change to an MSD DIS-4 ignition, you can wire 8, 4 or 2
coils to it, in a waste spark configuration. You can replace your
distributor with a Price Motorsports 351C oil pump drive or cam synchronizer
(if your EFI requires a cam sync signal). This wouldn't be the best way to
go distributorless but it would be simple and inexpensive.

The best way would be with the new, state-of-the-art, Holley Dominator EFI
ECU. All technology moves forward over time and EFI is no exception. The
Holley is self-tuning, can be used with any kind or number of coils
(including LS smart coils), comes with dual wide-band oxygen sensor inputs
built-in and dozens of user configurable inputs/outputs. I've been running
an Accel GEN7 but I'm changing over to a Holley Dominator ASAP because I'm
switching to an individual runner, Weber style intake and the Holley has
some special tuning features that make it ideal for IR intakes.

Dave