[DeTomaso] Muffler tip angle?

Corey Price coreyjprice at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 15:00:53 EST 2014

Mike,

Thank you for responding.  Measurements and photos would be great!  I think
having several people take an angle measurement would be beneficial as you
could get a good "range" of angles, depending on your taste.  I like the
up-swept look of the Pre-L tips and understand the straight tips on later
cars were done to clear the L-model bumper, at least so I've heard.

Corey

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:36 PM, <MikeLDrew at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 11/22/14 11 48 7, coreyjprice at gmail.com writes:
>

> What is the angle (or range of angles) of the exhaust tips on a Pre-L
> relative to the mufflers?  Any help is appreciated.

> angled up slightly more than the later GTS/GT5 mufflers.  Too, there were
> three different styles of mufflers used on the Pre-L cars.  The first used
> an incredibly tiny muffler can, which is amazingly effective as a silencer,
> considering its small size.  It may be incredibly restrictive.  Next up was
> a somewhat silly-looking muffler that was arguably almost too big to fit in
> the body opening; only a few cars came with these.  Last up was the
> definitive muffler can, which was then carried over to the L-model.  The
> difference was that on the L-model (any car with one-piece rear bumper,
> including USA GTS), the tips came straight out from the muffler can.
>
> So, having said all that, I can't say for sure if the angle of the tips
> was the same on all three styles of Pre-L mufflers.  Lori's small-can 1971
> mufflers are on the ground right now so I can get good photos from the side
> if you like, on Thanksgiving which is the next day I'll be visiting the
> car.  Let me know?
>
> Mike
-------------- next part --------------
   Mike,
   Thank you for responding.A  Measurements and photos would be great!A  I
   think having several people take an angle measurement would be
   beneficial as you could get a good "range" of angles, depending on your
   taste.A  I like the up-swept look of the Pre-L tips and understand the
   straight tips on later cars were done to clear the L-model bumper, at
   least so I've heard.
   Corey

     What is the angle (or range of angles) of the exhaust tips on a
     Pre-L relative to the mufflers?A  Any help is appreciated.
     >>>I believe (but have never measured to check) that the Pre-L tips
     are angled up slightly more than the later GTS/GT5 mufflers.A  Too,
     there were three different styles of mufflers used on the Pre-L
     cars.A  The first used an incredibly tiny muffler can, which is
     amazingly effective as a silencer, considering its small size.A  It
     may be incredibly restrictive.A  Next up was a somewhat
     silly-looking muffler that was arguably almost too big to fit in the
     body opening; only a few cars came with these.A  Last up was the
     definitive muffler can, which was then carried over to the
     L-model.A  The difference was that on the L-model (any car with
     one-piece rear bumper, including USA GTS), the tips came straight
     out from the muffler can.
     So, having said all that, I can't say for sure if the angle of the
     tips was the same on all three styles of Pre-L mufflers.A  Lori's
     small-can 1971 mufflers are on the ground right now so I can get
     good photos from the side if you like, on Thanksgiving which is the
     next day I'll be visiting the car.A  Let me know?