[DeTomaso] Muffler tip angle?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Nov 24 14:36:11 EST 2014

In a message dated 11/22/14 11 48 7, coreyjprice at gmail.com writes:

> What is the angle (or range of angles) of the exhaust tips on a Pre-L
> relative to the mufflers?  Any help is appreciated.
>

>>>I believe (but have never measured to check) that the Pre-L tips are
angled up slightly more than the later GTS/GT5 mufflers.   Too, there were
three different styles of mufflers used on the Pre-L cars.   The first used an
incredibly tiny muffler can, which is amazingly effective as a silencer,
considering its small size.   It may be incredibly restrictive.   Next up was a
somewhat silly-looking muffler that was arguably almost too big to fit in
the body opening; only a few cars came with these.   Last up was the
definitive muffler can, which was then carried over to the L-model.   The difference
was that on the L-model (any car with one-piece rear bumper, including USA
GTS), the tips came straight out from the muffler can.

So, having said all that, I can't say for sure if the angle of the tips was
the same on all three styles of Pre-L mufflers.   Lori's small-can 1971
mufflers are on the ground right now so I can get good photos from the side if
you like, on Thanksgiving which is the next day I'll be visiting the car.
Let me know?