[DeTomaso] mechanical fuel pump

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 20:54:42 EST 2014

Well, since two of my cars are EFI, I use a Bosch pump at 43psi.

But!

The race car is carbureted and will remain so in order to be vintage.
It had an electric low pressure pump made by Mallory when I got it..
It’s a Series 140.

I like it.

This one.
http://www.autozone.com/fuel-system/fuel-pump/mallory-comp-pump-140-electric-high-performance-fuel-pump-series-for-gasoline-not-included-fuel-pressure-regulator/711660_0_0/ <http://www.autozone.com/fuel-system/fuel-pump/mallory-comp-pump-140-electric-high-performance-fuel-pump-series-for-gasoline-not-included-fuel-pressure-regulator/711660_0_0/>

Yeah, kinda’ pricey, but it is QUIET!

So quiet, I’ve taken the Holley electric low pressure pump on the GT40 off and put the Mallory on.

Ah… nirvana. Used to be the LP pump, as soon as you turned the switch on, would make a loud whirring, almost grinding, noise that you could almost hear above the engine noise. A Delco unit did the same.
Yes, I had it mounted with rubber isolators.

The Mallory just slightly whirrs and you have to listen hard even when the motor is off.

My take on electric fuel pumps….

FWIW
Kirby

   [1]http://www.autozone.com/fuel-system/fuel-pump/mallory-comp-pump-140-