[DeTomaso] How much fuel reserve

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 10:20:53 EST 2014

Hey, Boyd's back!  glad to see you posting again. I  hope your recovery
goes well.

Jeff
6559

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 10:59 PM, Boyd Casey <boyd411 at gmail.com> wrote:

>    I should have mentioned that when I got my car there was already a
>    problem with debris in the bottom of the tank. I got a gasoline safe
>    manual pump , and pumped out all the gas and debris from the bottom of
>    my tank several times. I then rinsed out the tank and drained it out
>    several more times. I tried to remove the drain plug at he bottom of
>    the tank and was unable to remove it.A  After hearing numerous stories
>    about tearing the drain plugs out of the bottom of the tank I didn't
>    want to take to many chances.
>    Boyd
>
>    On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 11:43 PM, Julian Kift
>    <[1]julian_kift at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>    The problem with the proposed method is you risk drawing out 40 years
>    of crud and crap that has accumulated in the bottom of the tank and
>    feeding it to your carb and engine. If you need to get an idea I'd
>    suggest starting with a low tank and draw out or drain gas into a can
>    until the light comes on and then drain the rest into a separate can
>    and measure how much you get. You should have an idea of your engines
>    mpg to get a to empty mileage estimate.
>    Julian
>    Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 22:39:48 -0500
>    From: [2]boyd411 at gmail.com
>    To: [3]Bill at incendium.com
>    CC: [4]detomaso at poca.com; [5]mbefthomas at comcast.net
>    Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] How much fuel reserve
> Depending on how your float arm is bent it could be that you have minutes,
> miles or  your time is already up. One way to test your margin is to test
> your system .
> (with the help of a friend) as soon as the light goes on push your trip
> odometer and have a friend follow you in another car with a 5 gallon gas
> can and drive until you run out. You can use your trip odometer to see how
> many miles you  get and then use your gas can to get yourself to a gas
> station and use the reading on the trip odometer to see what kind of margin
> you get. One of the problems of looking for a guideline of how many miles
> one can expect when the light goes on is the variance in the adjustment of
> the float and the switch and the difference in engines, carbs , and cams.
> So if you feel you need to more accurate measurement I think my suggestion
> is a good one . The other is to never let your reserve light go on. In
> other words keep you tank full or close to it.
> Boyd
>
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Bill Moore <[6]Bill at incendium.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Mike, I never knew what color that light was, When the gauge says
> > 1/4
> > it's time to fuel up
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Bill Moore
> >
> > Calgary, AB.

   Hey, Boyd's back! A glad to see you posting again. I A hope your
   recovery goes well.
   Jeff
   6559

   On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 10:59 PM, Boyd Casey <[1]boyd411 at gmail.com>
   wrote:

     A  A I should have mentioned that when I got my car there was
     already a
     A  A problem with debris in the bottom of the tank. I got a gasoline
     safe
     A  A manual pump , and pumped out all the gas and debris from the
     bottom of
     A  A my tank several times. I then rinsed out the tank and drained
     it out
     A  A several more times. I tried to remove the drain plug at he
     bottom of
     A  A the tank and was unable to remove it.AA  After hearing numerous
     stories
     A  A about tearing the drain plugs out of the bottom of the tank I
     didn't
     A  A want to take to many chances.
     A  A Boyd
     A  A On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 11:43 PM, Julian Kift