[DeTomaso] Metric Bolt size Question

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 12:48:10 EST 2014

OK, you guys were right.

I had tried to carefully thread a 5/16 fine tap into the threads and it didn't pass easily, so I thought it was not right, but a 5/16 fine bolt does fit it, and in one drawing it calls out 5/16 UNF.  I guess calling it .31 in the table is just the English way of confusing people, and the other sizes in the table are metric.

Other than that, it is a really cool pull-type pedal assembly.  I bought is used and these bolts were missing, I could never afford a new one.  I'll go pick some up and I can see if this thing will fit into my long term 72 project.  I know some metal has to be worked for the clutch MC, but I think there is dead space available, and it is suppose the be a very efficient setup.

Still trying to figure out the best MC size.  Because they are pull-type, it's not simple, and no one seemed able to help, but I found drawings for the MCs on the AP Racing web site, and it turned out that the size listed for each was actually the equivalent conventional MC piston size.  Because they are pull-type, the geometry only leaves room for a 4.8 pedal ratio versus the typical 6.25 for dual MC pedal assemblies.  Not a big difference, but something to consider.  I suspect pad material differences may make a bigger difference in pedal effort.

It basically look like this (minus the gas pedal bracket):

AP Tilton Brake Pedal w / Master Cylinder Set.

AP Tilton Brake Pedal w / Master Cylinder Set.
US $1,399.00 New other (see details) in eBay Motors, Parts & Accessories, Performance & Racing Parts
View on www.ebay.com Preview by Yahoo

Ken