[DeTomaso] How bad are electrical splices?

michael at michaelshortt.com michael at michaelshortt.com
Sat Nov 8 09:39:31 EST 2014

I used trailer hitch connectors, 4 years, no issues, they come in 2,3,4,5,
even 6 wire choices.

Michael Shortt
On Nov 8, 2014 9:02 AM, "Ken Green via DeTomaso" <detomaso at poca.com> wrote:

>    When I worked in aerospace I recall hearing that a crimp was more
>    reliable than a solder connection because occasionally the solder would
>    make as cold joint.
>    Did you consider a single Weatherpack connector?  They come in a
>    variety of sizes, I think 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 wire, so you can have one
>    connector for all the wires.  However, you do need to use the right
>    crimping tool, and it's easier with the better tools.
>    I think MSD used Weatherpack connectors on their products.
>    Ken

   On Nov 8, 2014 9:02 AM, "Ken Green via DeTomaso" <[1]detomaso at poca.com>
   wrote:

     A  A When I worked in aerospace I recall hearing that a crimp was
     more
     A  A reliable than a solder connection because occasionally the
     solder would
     A  A make as cold joint.
     A  A Did you consider a single Weatherpack connector?A  They come in
     A  A variety of sizes, I think 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 wire, so you can
     have one
     A  A connector for all the wires.A  However, you do need to use the
     right
     A  A crimping tool, and it's easier with the better tools.
     A  A I think MSD used Weatherpack connectors on their products.
     A  A Ken
     A  A From: Charles McCall <[2]charlesmccall at gmail.com>
     A  A To: [3]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A Sent: Saturday, November 8, 2014 4:01 AM
     A  A Subject: [DeTomaso] How bad are electrical splices?
     A  A  A Hi all
     A  A  A I'm changing my MSD 6AL to see if my engine problems are
     ignition
     A  A  A related. While doing this, I have an idea that will make my
     life
     A  A easier
     A  A  A both now and later, but I don't want to create new problems
     for
     A  A myself.
     A  A  A Some of the connections are deep in the engine bay, or have
     to pass
     A  A  A through the firewall (my box is located behind the passenger
     seat).
     A  A The
     A  A  A easiest would be to cut the wires in the passenger
     compartment and
     A  A  A install some plugs, such as those shown in this photo. This
     would be
     A  A  A easiest now, as well as if I were to ever have a failure on
     A  A roadtrip.
     A  A  A Changing the MSD box could be as easy as unplugging the
     existing
     A  A  A connections and plugging the new ones. 5 minutes and I'd be
     back
     A  A  A underway.
     A  A  A Is there any good reason NOT to do this? It seems kind of
     kludgy and
     A  A  A introduces one new splice in each wire, but it would make
     life
     A  A  A easier... thanks!
     A  A Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA
     A  A DeTomaso mailing list