[DeTomaso] Unhappy motor - looking for suggestions

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 20:54:39 EST 2014

Actually, if the shear pin is fully sheared, you can turn the rotor by
hand.  It turns the oil pump, but it doesn¹t pump up pressure until you do
a couple of turns.

Mine sheared many years ago, and that was the test.

If it partially shears, though, it will run rough, you won¹t be able to
turn the rotor.  You could check the timing, but the balancer may have
slipped.

A better check is to remove the distributor.  Removing the distributor is
only slightly more work than removing the bulkhead, cap, etc.