[DeTomaso] PPC - Potential Pantera Content - Garage Door Break ins

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 21:26:31 EST 2014

Thanks Julian!

-----Original Message-----
From: DeTomaso [mailto:detomaso-bounces at poca.com] On Behalf Of Julian Kift
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2014 5:25 PM
To: detomaso at poca.com
Subject: [DeTomaso] PPC - Potential Pantera Content - Garage Door Break ins

We had a break in at the house in Reno 2 weeks ago, Sunday morning at 10:30
am the alarm triggered on motion in the garage. The alarm monitoring service
called the police out who ascertained the garage doors had likely been left
open by the contractor working at the house. The contractor was convinced he
had checked prior to leaving Friday, but as we all do questioned his own
actions on reflection.

When we returned this past weekend it was evident that the thieves had
attempted to gain entry through all 5 garage doors before success, and then
only after physically bending the upper panel of one door to access the
opener release mechanism. Fortunately it appears the alarm triggering was
sufficient to scare them off empty handed.

Many of you might have seen and be aware of this simple garage entry method,
but I thought it was worth posting the video again for those that might not
have seen it, or for those that have seen it and not taken preventive
measures! (Yes I was in the latter category, having not done anything upon
moving into another house a month ago) The simplest and most immediate fix
is to zip tie the release mechanism although I found that more thorough
cages and surrounds are now available commercially. I personally went a bit
further and added alarm contacts on all the roll up doors along with an 8
camera external  security camera system that sends a push notification to my
smart phone upon detecting motion and allows remote monitoring.

http://youtu.be/CMz1tXBVT1s

Julian
PS The contractor has never worked so hard!