[DeTomaso] PPC - Potential Pantera Content - Garage Door Break ins

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 20:25:02 EST 2014

We had a break in at the house in Reno 2 weeks ago, Sunday morning at 10:30 am the alarm triggered on motion in the garage. The alarm monitoring service called the police out who ascertained the garage doors had likely been left open by the contractor working at the house. The contractor was convinced he had checked prior to leaving Friday, but as we all do questioned his own actions on reflection.

When we returned this past weekend it was evident that the thieves had attempted to gain entry through all 5 garage doors before success, and then only after physically bending the upper panel of one door to access the opener release mechanism. Fortunately it appears the alarm triggering was sufficient to scare them off empty handed.

Many of you might have seen and be aware of this simple garage entry method, but I thought it was worth posting the video again for those that might not have seen it, or for those that have seen it and not taken preventive measures! (Yes I was in the latter category, having not done anything upon moving into another house a month ago) The simplest and most immediate fix is to zip tie the release mechanism although I found that more thorough cages and surrounds are now available commercially. I personally went a bit further and added alarm contacts on all the roll up doors along with an 8 camera external  security camera system that sends a push notification to my smart phone upon detecting motion and allows remote monitoring.

http://youtu.be/CMz1tXBVT1s

Julian
PS The contractor has never worked so hard!