[DeTomaso] Extracting broken bolts by EDM disintegration

Jerry Knotts knottsj at galstar.com
Tue Nov 4 20:18:04 EST 2014

Bill,

  EDM is really great.  The only drawback is you need to bring the part
to the EDM machine.  I had it used on removing broken and fully rusted
bolts on a couple of Gravely yard tractors.  At that time I worked in
Houston in oil field parts manufacturing and had to bring the tractor
parts to the shop.  Set the machine up, packed the portion around the
part to be removed with a red rag soaked in salt water and let it run.
Usually only a few minutes and it was done.  Sometimes left a bit of
thread in the bolt hole but was easily cleaned.

Wish I had one here at the farm.  Am working on a trimmer with steel
bolts in an aluminum trim body.

jerry knotts