[DeTomaso] Sept. SSCC

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Nov 3 03:26:20 EST 2014

At high speeds, we always underestimate the force of the wind on parts of the car's body. When Al Bloomberg's pushbutton Pantera exceeded 200 mph at Bonneville some years ago, he'd removed the headlight motor & gearbox, and around 180 mph, the headlights came up from wind blast. So they quickly drilled a hole through the headlight bar and center brace for a 1/4" bolt & nut to lock the lights down. The next run sheared the bolt. I believe Al replaced the headlight motor to stop this. I've also seen photos taken at speed of lightweight hoods with huge buckles in the front from wind blast. Once the car slowed down, the hood regained its shape.