[DeTomaso] Unhappy motor - looking for suggestions

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 03:25:29 EST 2014

Forest - MSD 6AL

Thanks all!

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 6:37 AM, Forest Goodhart <forestg at att.net> wrote:

>    Charlie,
>
>    What are you using for an ignition system? Points, duraspark, MSD?
>
>    Forest

   Forest - MSD 6AL
   Thanks all!

   On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 6:37 AM, Forest Goodhart <[1]forestg at att.net>
   wrote:

     A  A Charlie,
     A  A What are you using for an ignition system? Points, duraspark,
     MSD?
     A  A Forest
     A  A From: Charles McCall <[2]charlesmccall at gmail.com>
     A  A To: [3]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A Sent: Sunday, November 2, 2014 11:13 AM
     A  A Subject: [DeTomaso] Unhappy motor - looking for suggestions
     A  A  A Hi all
     A  A  A I just got back from a Supercar event in northern Spain with
     35 cars
     A  A  A attending - Lambo, Ferrari, Viper, Porsche, and, as usual, a
     lone
     A  A  A DeTomaso!
     A  A  A The highlight for me without a doubt was an 8-minute burst
     on the
     A  A  A highway with the police clearing the way for us, cruising at
     a steady
     A  A  A GPS-indicated 180 k/hr in a 35 car convoy... the people out
     for a
     A  A  A Sunday drive must have had their minds boggled...

   A  A  A Anyway, my engine is not happy. This morning in the hotel
   parking lot
   A  A I
   A  A  A really thought that we'd have to skip today's event because it
   A  A wouldn't
   A  A  A start and didn't sound like it was even thinking about
   starting. Took
   A  A  A probably 5 minutes of crank-wait-crank-wait before it fired.
   A  A Yesterday
   A  A  A at the gas station it took 2-3 minutes to start, something that
   has
   A  A  A never, ever happened before. It is really hard to describe the
   A  A problem
   A  A  A so much of it is "feel", but I'll do my best.
   A  A  A A few weeks ago I noticed that the engine would tend to stumble
   if I
   A  A  A would floor the throttle, then clear its throat and pull. For
   A  A example,
   A  A  A I like to heel-and-toe, just because, and when blipping the
   throttle
   A  A it
   A  A  A would stumble instead of rev. The engine also felt a little
   rougher,
   A  A as
   A  A  A though it vibrated more than I remembered it. I don't remember
   if
   A  A this
   A  A  A was before or after I did a short tune-up, by adjusting the
   valve
   A  A lash
   A  A  A (I have mechanical lifters), and cleaning the K&N air filter by
   A  A  A applying K&N filter oil, etc. or if it is irrelevant. So I was
   A  A messing

     A  A  A around in the engine bay recently...
     A  A  A This weekend the engine felt considerably worse. It felt
     like it
     A  A would
     A  A  A stumble under partial throttle as well. It would stumble a
     little bit
     A  A  A under trailing throttle going downhill as well, so I don't
     think it
     A  A is
     A  A  A a clogged fuel filter.
     A  A  A Oil temp is perfect. Oil pressure is perfect. Water temp is
     perfect.
     A  A  A The engine idles perfectly. But if you floor the gas from
     idle, it'll
     A  A  A stall. The engine doesn't feel crisp, it feels bloated and
     soft, if
     A  A  A that makes sense. It feels rough, and it feels like it
     occasionally
     A  A  A stumbles under constant throttle at highway speed. It pulls
     hard when
     A  A  A accelerating, but I don't think as hard as it used to, or as
     high (I
     A  A  A have a 6500 rpm limiting chip in the MSD that it used to
     pull very
     A  A  A easily to).
     A  A  A Suggestions for where to begin looking? And other info that
     would
     A  A help
     A  A  A in troubleshooting?
     A  A Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA