[DeTomaso] Canada RIV Import Inspection

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Sat Nov 1 15:43:41 EDT 2014

Julian,

All you need is a Provincial Safety Inspection. It's a very basic
inspection, where they check tires, brakes, etc. RIV only deals with cars
being imported from the USA that are newer than 15 years old.

If you call Canadian Tire, they'll give you a copy of an inspection report.
It used to be a visual inspection, where they checked the VIN, seat belts
and that was about all. It might be more involved now.

I'd have a word with the mechanic that will be doing the inspection, before
he begins. Tell him how much you appreciate his experience and that you have
a case of beer in the car for him, when he's finished!

Are you bringing in the Ultima? I hear that could be problematic. That being
said, I believe the rules are slightly different if you're moving to Canada
and list automobiles as "personal effects". In order to qualify, you have to
have owned the car for a number of years before immigrating and you are not
allowed to transfer ownership, for a number of years after immigrating. I
knew a guy, years ago, who immigrated to Canada and brought his RS200 with
him.

Where in Alberta will you be living?

Dave