[DeTomaso] How to best paint my Campys?

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Wed May 28 14:54:54 EDT 2014

Combining two threads.  What about bead blasting them with the process in
the Dustless Blaster thread?

Rob DuMoulin
904.476.8744
rob at dumoulins.net
www.kbsi.co
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM, <MikeLDrew at aol.com> wrote:

>    In a message dated 5/27/14 13 10 4, michael at michaelshortt.com writes:
>
>      I would send them out to be powdercoated.
>
>    >>>...with the understanding that it might turn into a disaster.
>    Magnesium doesn't powdercoat well.  It is so porus that tiny pockets of
>    gas can form, and create bubbles in the surface finish.  Then it's a
>    nightmare to strip them and do it again.
>    If they are going to be powdercoated, it's best to have the powercoat
>    shop place strip them, then place them in the hot oven at the end of
>    the day, heat them fully and allow them to cool slowly overnight, prior
>    to actually applying the powdercoat finish the next day.  This is
>    actually quite good for the wheels, as it anneals them and removes any
>    brittleness that may have developed over 40+ years.
>    My front wheels came to me powdercoated in the wrong color, but they
>    had already been through this process.  I had them painted to match my
>    rear wheels, and since the original finish on the rear wheels was thin
>    in places from new (primer showing through), I had the rears painted at
>    the same time....
>    Mike

   Combining two threads. A What about bead blasting them with the process
   in the Dustless Blaster thread? A  A

   Rob DuMoulin
   904.476.8744
   [1]rob at dumoulins.net
   [2]www.kbsi.co
   [3]http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58
   On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM, <[4]MikeLDrew at aol.com> wrote:

     A  A In a message dated 5/27/14 13 10 4,