[DeTomaso] Intake Manifolds

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue May 27 16:02:25 EDT 2014

> Is anyone running a Holly Street Dominator manifold?  If so, what do you
think and on what kind of motor build.

I don't think I ever got around to writing up the dyno results but we
tested several intakes on a 393C with ported Aussie 2V iron heads.  Results
in order were:

 1. Parker Funnelweb 2V
 2. Holley Street Dominator 2V
 3. Weiand Xcelerator 2V
 4. Edelbrock RPM Air Gap 2V

Note the Edelbrock Air Gap dual plane was beaten by all of the single plane
intakes tested and the single planes worked better across the entire RPM
range tested (down to 2500 RPM or so).  However, on a 408C with heads with
better flowing intake ports (CHI 4V), the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap 2V
performed much better.  Intake flow is poor relative to the exhaust on the
iron 2V heads and, once you get into the 400+ HP range, it appears the
single plane intakes work better because they are less of restriction to
the marginal 2V cylinder head intake flow.

> The Dominator and the taller single planes will give better high end
numbers but may suck at lower rpm.

Small port (relative to the displacement) single plane intakes often have
good manners on the street, though that depends upon the specific engine
combination.

Dan Jones