[DeTomaso] Electrical question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun May 25 17:38:07 EDT 2014

In a message dated 5/25/14 13 48 7, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> I would be wary of installing a 30 amp fuse for multiple low current
> devices as you won't necessarily have protection on an individual basis, unless
> the devices have an internal fuse. For best protection install a lower
> amperage fuse in line prior to each outlet, or run separate outlets from the
> individual fuses in the panel.
>

>>>The problem is, the unit he bought won't support that.   He's already
bought something like this:

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_139120_1.jpg

Instead of plugging it into an existing cigarette lighter adapter, he wants
to cut the plug off and then wire it directly to a 12V source.   The only
advantage to running it to the fusebox is that you could hook it to the
output side of a switched source, so that even if you accidently left something
plugged in, it would shut down as soon as you turned the car off.   If he
hooked it directly to the battery, it could drain the battery.

I've now reached the limits of my electrical smarts.   Somebody like Bill
Taylor could offer a definitive answer....

....oh, wait, that's right--Bill is on AOL too.   So while he might give an
answer, I'll never see it, and he'll never see this post either, unless I
address it to him directly.   Grrrrr....