[DeTomaso] The POCA Fun Rally Chronicles, Day Two, again

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Wed May 21 22:47:18 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,
I tried to send this yesterday, but I don't think it went through due to the pictures I tried to attach, so I'm going to try again without the pics.
Enjoy!
Day two, May 18:  Driving in the Days of Noah
Realizing my son, Donny, and I had a long day ahead of us, I set my alarm for the way-too-early-for-vacation time of 8:00 AM.  I figured if we could get on the road at 9 or so, we could get to California by 7:00 PM. I had already repacked Pandora after we had retrieved her from Larry’s the night before, so we were ready to go, right on time.  I input the first destination into the GPS, turned the ignition key, and Pandora immediately sprang to life, as if the whole humiliating previous 24 hours never happened. The car was running great as we turned onto I-5, heading south, but storm clouds were on the horizon.  Normally, when an author writes “storm clouds were on the horizon,” it is a foreshadowing of some terrible occurrence.  In this case it was, literally, storm clouds.  Shortly after we passed through Olympia, it started raining.  And raining.  And raining.
It poured most of the way to California.  I remembered when I picked up the car from Larry the night before, how he apologized that on the way to the shop there was a bit of rain which spoiled my perfect wax job.  His prophetic words were, “Don’t worry; I’m sure you’ll get rained on before you get to California…” Oh well, so what if my hours of cleaning and waxing work were all for naught.   At least I could listen to my unconverted music.  I plugged my phone into my car’s stereo system, and began enjoying full wav file fidelity (for those who aren't as tech-savvy as I, the term “wav file” means “sounds better.”)  I enjoyed said fidelity for about 50 minutes, when, all of a sudden, WHITE NOISE!  Only about 14 songs successfully transferred to my new, fancy, huge phone. It’s a good thing Donny has excellent taste in music.  We listened to his smaller, but working, phone. We drove to Ashland, Oregon (and when I say “drove” what I really mean is “hydroplaned”) where we stopped for lunch at one of my favorite fine-dining establishments:  Dairy Queen.  I enjoyed a chicken wrap and a large Orange Julius.  I discovered if you ask nicely, the people who make Orange Julius drinks will add more of the flavoring.  This makes them as sweet as God intended.  Donny enjoyed a combo meal, and since Dairy Queen was having a “buy one Julius, get a second one for 99 cents” special, he also had a large Julius.  When I say “large,” what I really mean is “the size of the Lakewood water tower.”  I mean, these drinks are nothing if not HUGE.  We were planning our next rest stop before we left the building.
As we departed Ashland and headed further South, I noticed my cruise-control was acting erratic—surging faster and slower.  When I toured with a band out of Atlantic City, the bass player had a reputation for driving this way.  She would speed up and slow down until her passengers began getting seasick.  I was having flashbacks of her driving, and knew something was definitely wrong.  In conjunction with the surging, my speedometer was bouncing around, too. Years ago I added cruise-control to Pandora, because any National Pantera activity means long drives from Washington.  I’m 6’2, but most of that is comprised of legs, so it is important for me to be able to stretch out under the pedals into the foot-well.  If I don’t, gangrene sets in after a few hours.  The sensor for the cruise-control inserts between the transmission’s speedometer output and the speedometer cable.  There is a small, square rod which inserts into the female end of the transmission output and connects it with the female end of the sensor unit.  The center of the rod is squished a bit to hold a washer in place in the middle so the rod won’t slide too far into either of the female ends into which it is protruding (at this point, I will resist the urge to make any crass, junior-high-level jokes).  This, original unit self-destructed some time ago, so I managed to fabricate one from a piece of nail with a washer slid onto it, held in place with JB Weld.  The ends were pounded square, and presto!  I had a replacement piece. The home-made solution had worked fine for several years, but I had the distinct feeling it’s time was up.  When we arrived in Crescent City, I examined the piece, and sure enough, the square part of one side of the rod had become rounded, and was slipping in the square hole.  I knew there was no chance a town the size of Crescent City would have the part I needed, but fortunately, our EconoLodge motel was located right next to a car repair shop, and there was an O’Reily’s Auto Parts store across the street (the neighborhood may have been one of the reasons the rate was only $45.00 per night…) To make a long story short, I went to the auto repair place, but no parts could be found which would solve the problem.  In what can only be described as a fit of unbridled optimism and naiveté, I then went to the O’Reilly’s store. Many people disparage the modern-day auto store.  They claim the employees are raised in a society where cars are simply discarded once something goes wrong.  That they have no experience working on cars, and wouldn't know a hub permabulator from a muffler bearing.  That the only experiences they’ve had with cars is when they are playing Forza Motorsports III on their Xbox 360 (for those of you that aren’t as tech-savvy as I, that’s a video game.  My son just overheard me proofreading this, and informed me that iteration of the video game is now two-generations old.  D’oh!) Anyway, I am here to soundly refute all preconceived notions about the inexperience and ineptness attributed to O’Reilly’s’ employees.  I explained to the young man that I owned a finely-tuned piece of Italian/American exotica—a supercar whose rarity is legend.  I told him that parts were almost impossible to find, and when one was available, it had been made by European craftsmen to exacting standards at great cost.  He seemed to understand, and when I described the problem and what I needed to solve it, he took apart his pen, and gave me the spring.  Using that, and another European mechanic’s secret weapon, duct tape, I fixed the problem.  (note:  Since that time I’ve driven another 500 miles, and the fix is still working!) As for the day’s drive, it was wet, but still had its fun moments.  For instance, three convertible mustangs passed me at one point.  Their drivers must have felt intimidated by seeing a Pantera, because they passed me at a rather high rate of speed.  Those of you who know me know I am completely docile when challenged.  I never try to prove a point or demonstrate any kind of prowess at anything.  Ever.  Actually, that’s not quite true.  In fact, I wasn't about to let a trio of silly, late-model Fords intimidate my Italian Stallion, who has her own bored and stroked 408 cubic-inch monster-of-a-motor.  I caught up with the ‘Stangs and stayed right with them on some particularly curvy sections of Highway 101.  Then I passed them. Only for a moment did I provide a terrible example to my 19-year-old-son of the responsibility one holds to obey the laws of the land.  Then I went back to double-digit speeds.  I used the opportunity to expound on how in the Bible, when Paul was writing to the early Christians, he was in jail for civil disobedience.  In other words, he had broken the law.  If it’s good enough for Paul, I explained to my unimpressed son, it’s good enough for me. We stopped for gas several times along the way, and I am always impressed with how many people actually know what a Pantera is.  One old guy in a pickup truck told me he drove a Pantera; I think he said a friend of his had one, once.  Others had stories about knowing someone who had one, or that they, themselves had always wanted one.  Those who weren't familiar with the car will now, of course, be in the camp of people who have always wanted one. After a long, fun, wet day, we arrived at the EconoLodge in Crescent City, California.  The name “EconoLodge” is made up of the two root words “Lodge,” meaning a place to stay, and “Econo,” meaning “totally cheap.”  In fact, the rate was a whopping $45.00 per night. My first clues that this might be an, um, interesting stay were that 1) when we arrived, the lady in the room to our right was yelling profanity into her phone while her bulldog made odd noises, and 2) the room to our left was inhabited by a motorcycle gang. Oh yes, and when Donny pulled back the sheets on his bed, I’ll be danged if there wasn't a live spider staring him in the face. For a moment, I thought I’d tell Donny it was one of those special “hotel guardian spiders” hotels put in beds to ensure no one but the paying tenant gets to sleep there.  Then I remembered Donny is 19, and that sort of story hasn't worked for the last 15 years.  Truthfully, Donny would never have believed something as silly as that, no matter how young he was.  Even when I put our VHS video camera in the living room on Christmas eve many years ago to prove Santa existed, the jig was up.  While watching the intentionally-vague video on Christmas morning, Donny astutely pointed out that Santa’s red coat was actually Vicki’s Jacket, and the “ho Ho Hos” sounded distinctly like my voice.  His conclusion was it was really me dressed up to fool his brother and him into believing a fairy tale.  Again; D’oh! We dispatched the spider and decided to clean up the car.  As we did, the woman next door and our other neighbors, the motorcycle gang, came out to comment on Pandora. The woman, it turned out, was quite nice (except to whomever she was talking on the phone), and knew quite a lot about cars.  Apparently, she once dated the inventor of the ATM machine (isn't the word “machine” redundant there?) who was quite wealthy, and bought her lots of nice cars, including a Lamborghini Countach (“it was black.”)  According to her, the first car she ever drove was a Jaguar E-type.  Her relationship with the rich guy ended when she called him on a business trip, and the phone was answered by “some frauline.”   She asked if I’d take her picture with the Pantera, and I obliged.  I’m not sure if the picture will come through the forum’s systems, but I’m sending it, along with a few others, anyway. The motorcycle gang was actually three young guys who had ridden down from Susanville, Oregon, and were heading back the next day.  I felt sorry for them since they had been riding in the same terrible weather we had experienced.  To make matters worse, just a few hours before, as they visited the local aquarium, one of them had his jacket and gloves stolen!  Me worrying about rain getting on my car?  Everything is relative. I’m making fun of the EconoLodge, but let me tell you, they had once thing right:  Cocoa Puffs.  Yes, the breakfast of champions was part of the complimentary morning food-fest.  And when I say “food-fest,” I’m really saying, “cereal, juice, and a few bagels.”  But it was a breakfast to us… Speaking of food (and why shouldn't we?), for dinner that night Donny and I went to a great restaurant called “The Grotto.”  It was recommended by the swearing neighbor lady, and at first, I was skeptical.  After all, the name Grotto sounds a lot like the word Grotty.  For those of you not as Anglofile-savvy as I, the word “Grotty,”in England, means “Econolodge.” We arrived at the Grotto to find it almost empty.  Note:  If you want great seafood in Crescent City, go to the Grotto at 8:00 PM on a Sunday night.  You’ll have the place to yourself (see the pictures).  I had calamari, clam chowder, tea with a lot of milk and even more sugar, a piece of lemon-meringue pie, and a glass of milk.  I was going to have an ice-cream chaser, but unfortunately they restaurant closes at 9 PM, so we had to leave. EconoLodge also has another meaning.  It translates from its original Greek as “house of terrible pillows.”  Still, Donny and I got a pretty good night’s sleep.  And free Cocoa Puffs.