[DeTomaso] Have you checked your ZF juice lately?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun May 11 13:18:23 EDT 2014

In a message dated 5/10/14 10 44 2, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> With all the horror stories about how expensive ZF repairs are, this is
> pretty silly on my part. Anyone else that hasn’t checked their oil level
> and
> is driving around fat, dumb, and happy while quietly doing ungood things
> their ´box?
>

>>>I had mistakenly filled my gearbox with GL4 lubricant a couple of years
ago, as I was confused.   GL4 is what my Sciroccos call for, but the ZF
needs GL5.   So I recently had my oil changed (that is, I told Lori, "Hey, how
would you like to change my gearbox oil while I'm working on the front
brakes?" and she bought it!)

The book calls for 7 1/2 quarts of GL5, which is damn near a full gallon,
so I bought a one-gallon jug.   My gear oil pump made this a quick and easy
job.