[DeTomaso] Detomaso Factory Race Car on Ebay

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri May 9 19:28:29 EDT 2014

Description from P Olczac's book on DeTomaso race cars (pg 436): "A Gr-5 (was) built by Sala/Malverdi for (drivers) Michangeli & Pietromarchi from a new chassis (with no serial number) given to them by the factory in 1977. In 1981, the (Gr-5) car was sent to Auto Elite Modena and modified (further) into Gr-C specifications."

In 1977, a 'new chassis' could be literally anything since it was 3 yrs after Ford left town and certainly after any left-over Vignale stampings had been used up building post-Ford-era Pantera GTS road cars. Photos (pg 138) of the build-in-progress at Auto Elite shows the tub resembles a racing GR-4/GT-4 with the definitive row of large lightening holes in the inner rocker panels. But they could have been added by a specialty racing shop at some point in its career. Little else is recognizable as 'Pantera' except the windshield opening and the front firewall. Whether you think the remains of this 'thing' is a Pantera or not depends on your viewpoint, but it did start out as one. FWIW- J DeRyke