[DeTomaso] Hotel de France

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu May 8 10:35:13 EDT 2014

In a message dated 5/8/14 0 51 57, algisby at hotmail.com writes:

> Ciao Panterians - enjoy!!
> From Classic & Sports Car May 2014. Article relates to a hotel 40kms south
> of Le Mans that many teams used in 1950's to 80's
>
>>>That's a legendary spot!   Charlie McCall selected it purely by accident
as an overnight stop on a Le Mans Classic tour several years ago.   The
hotel is quaint by modern standards, but filled with memorabelia, as it has was
used as a 'team' hotel for many years.   John Wyer based the Aston Martin
team there in the 1950s, when Shelby raced for him, and Shelby then used it,
which in turn led to Ford using it for their GT40 effort as well.

> >De Tomaso photo caption says:"A trio of De Tomaso Panteras loaded up on
> their transporter post-race and ready to head home after a fruitless
> weekend at La Sarthe in '75. Top finisher was 16th"Can the race date could help
> identify the cars? This race results link does confirm the 16th place, but
> lists car as race car #43. Maybe the yellow car over the cab was
> #43.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans
>
>>>This is an Italian team truck.   The #43 car was #2860, entered under
the Team Claude Dubois banner, although Claude actually had nothing to do with
the effort, as he was busy elsewhere (by coincidence, Lori and I had dinner
with Claude in San Francisco two weeks ago as he was passing through).

2860 was/is a factory Gr4 car that Claude had actually entered in the 1972
race; it was the only Pantera to finish, also coincidentally in 16th place.
 It is now owned by Guy Trigaux, who was Claude's head mechanic for 25
years; he emigrated from Belgium a few years back and runs a high end
restoration shop out of his home in Simpsonville, South Carolina.

The #7 car is, I believe, #5855, and after failing to finish, it was
privately converted to Group 4-ish spec (homemade flares with a completely
different shape from the factory flares, for some odd reason), and it had a highly
successful life as a privateer racer in Italy.   It is currently in England,
after a rather miserable performance at the 2010 Le Mans Classic.   (It may
have been sold after that, I don't actually know).

To be honest I'm rather surprised to see the other two cars there, as
supposedly they 'didn't show up' for the race.   The yellow one is the Team Wicky
Gr3, but I don't know which car the red Gr4 is--2873 perhaps?

> >GT40 photo caption says:"The 1968-winning GT40 rests outside the hotel
> after the race, while the team and drivers Pedro Rodriguez and Lucien Bianchi
> celebrate inside"
>
>>>Yes, John Wyer remained true to form and always used this hotel as his
base.   Amazingly, the race cars would be driven over the road some 40km from
the hotel to the track each day for practice etc.   We live in different
times today!

> >Hotel website is:www.thehoteldefrance.com
>
>>>Really neat place.   Don't expect any luxury; this is a hotel that time
has left behind.   But it's fun to stay there and imagine that one of your
racing heroes may have stayed in the same room once upon a time....

   In a message dated 5/8/14 0 51 57, algisby at hotmail.com writes:

     Ciao Panterians - enjoy!!
     From Classic & Sports Car May 2014. Article relates to a hotel 40kms

     #43.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans