[DeTomaso] Fw: Cleveland engine question

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 01:06:39 EDT 2014

Well as the more astute among may have already guessed I had an "episode"
this evening while giving my pantera a workout after getting my new
CNC sssleeve clutch master,
ss sleeve long throw slave, new 90 amp alternator and new harmonic
balanceralong with new front seal and pulley. My car was running and
sounding
great! I loved the new master and slave set up and even though the expected
increase in clutch pedal effort materialised (as promised) I really liked
the pedal resistance and the new longer throw slave really seemed to make
the clutch engage ( it was like it slammed shut) the rear wheels seemed to
hook up better and I was really enjoying my drive. I was actually enjoying
it a little too much because I was in 5th and on it hard when all of a
sudden there was a loud boom and a sudden loss of all power. At first the
car was still in gear and the engine was turning due to the forward
momentum of the car. There were no cylinders firing just the lub dub sound
of  an engine turning with out ignition  and a substantial amount of smoke
was visible in my rear view as well as a funky smell which I hope was fuel
and air vaporising as it traveld through the hot engine with no spark to
ignite it. I was very close to my exit so I put the car in neutral and
rolled off the Parkway exit ramp.Once stopped I called a buddy of mine who
lives near by and who owns a flat bed. He is also an avid car collector and
restores classic cars as a hobby. He suggested I do a few things like try
to restart the car and when it wouldn't start he suggested turning the key
to start with the car in gear to see if it was locked up. When I turned the
starter in first the car moved forward so at least it didn't appear to be a
complete catastrophic failure ( but I guess that depends on your own
definition of "catastrophic failure" The way I was feeling a broken timing
chain or sheared distributor gear didn't seem as bad a a completely blown
engine. (like a rod through the block kind of blown engine).
So for those of you in the know whats the best way and order to check if
it's a sheared pin or a jumped or broken timing chain? The thing that
really made me think it was more then just a sheared distributor pin was
the loud boom when the shit hit the fan(in a manner of speaking). So what
to do?
Boyd

P.S. please excuse any more spelling errors then one would normally expect
from a post written by an extremely distressed Pantera owner. It seems my
spell check isn't running much better then my Pantera!